Monday, March 1, 2010

Song of the Week: "Jolene", The White Stripes

Listen -- The White Stripes perform Jolene.

I think you already know a ton about The White Stripes. I bet you either love 'em or hate 'em. So I'm not going to waste a lot of words trying to hip you to the "brother and sister" duo out of Detroit. What I will do, however, is present to you this little song they did in 2004 called Jolene. It's a Dolly Parton penned song from 1973 that was a good hit for her and appeared on her 1974 album, Jolene. Olivia Newton John covered it in 1976.

The White Stripes covered the song in 2004 as the Flip-Side of their single, Hello Operator. One of the things I really like about it is that Jack White didn't alter the lyrics to fit his gender. It gives an interesting twist to the song of a woman pleading with her man's gifted lover to recuse herself from the love triangle.

Here are the White Stripes and Dolly Parton each performing Jolene.





No comments:

Post a Comment