Friday, January 16, 2015

Great Lakes Spotlight: The Pleasure Seekers - What A Way To Die/I Never Thought You'd Leave Me Baby

We're rolling through the Great Lakes Battle of the Garage Bands smoother than a 1964 Buick Wildcat on the rough and tumble streets in America's rust belt. And we've only just begun. 

Today's double sided gem is from Detroit Michigan's, The Pleasure Seekers. And it is our first female entry in the Battle of The Garage Bands! The hedonistic little Pleasure Seekers was comprised of sisters Suzi Quatro and Patti Quatro; sisters Nancy Ball and Mary Lou Ball; and, Diane Baker, who, not long after this recording, was replaced by Arlene Quatro. The band was managed by Dave Leone, who gets writing credit for both sides of this super-rare 1965 single released on the local Hideout Records label.
We've flipped the sides over because -- as usual -- we think the Flip-Side is better. What A Way To Die is, simply put, awesome. The song has a nice Jimmy Reed turnaround riff, bitchin' low-fi production, a perfectly placed spoken voice giving a retort to Suzi's banshee lyrics, reverb drenched over-dubs, growly little vocals, and of course some of the best lyrics ever committed to wax. Watch out boys, these girls are gonna walk all over you as they stagger to the fridge to get another beer.

There is no-way these girls' moms thought this was appropriate. These lyrics are so great, we present every word here for your enjoyment.
Well I love you baby
I'm telling you right here
But please don’t make me decide babyBetween you and a bottle of beer 
And...baby come on overwell come on over to my side (come on baby, to my side)well I may not live past twenty-onebut -- WOO!What a way to die! 
Your lovin' fluctuates babyand everybody knowsbut the temperature always stays the sameon an ice cold bottle of Stroh's 
So...baby come on overwell come on over to my side (come on over, honey)well I may not live past twenty-onebut -- WOO!What a way to die! 
When I start my drinkingmy baby throws a fitSo I just blitz her outta my mindwith seventeen bottles of Schlitz 
And...baby come on overwell come on over to my side (come on...over)well I may not live past twenty-onebut -- WOO!What a way to die! 
You’ve got the kind of bodythat makes me come aliveBut I’d rather have my hands aroundA bottle of Colt 45 
And...baby come on over,come on over to my side (are you coming or not baby?)well I may not live past twenty-onebut WOO! What a way to die!
The A-Side of the single, I Never Thought You'd Leave Me Baby is a raver in it's own right. Groovy bass line and tight vocals. Yeah Baby!
Enjoy. Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

5 comments:

  1. I've always loved this song. Until you made that Jimmy Reed reference (and you are right!), I had never thought about the structure of the song. Much to my surprise, it's a straight blues riff in E. Presentation is everything. And attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Quatro sisters look sooo cool & sexy. And whatta lyrics! First heard 'em on legendary ''What a way to die'' comp. and then both sides landed on great ''Friday At The Hideout''. Shame they didn't recorded mo' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm willing to bet they got the turn-around from the Rolling Stones' Little By Little, not direct from Jimmy Reed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just listened to that Stones song, which I have not heard for a very long time. I like your hypothesis.

      Delete