Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Great Lakes Spotlight: The Del Vetts - Last Time Around/Everytime


Day 4 of our Great Lakes-Region Battle of the Garage Bands takes us back to the Chicago area. And back to Dunwich, Man. Today we spin both sides of the Del Vetts debut single from August, 1966. 
We'll I'm sitting here sinking on deeper down.
My head is a' spinning around and 'round.
I can't seem to shake this feeling.
Oh, My body is a rockin' and a-reelin'.
Oh' it's such a funny feeling
that I know this is the last time around for me, Oh yeah, 
Oh, I'm sinking on sinking on deeper down.
My eyes are blood and I can't hear a sound.
Fight it! help me fight it.
Because I know this is the last time around for me. 
The Del Vetts were Jim Lauer on vocals and lead guitar, Bob Good on rhythm, Jack Burchall on bass and Roger Deatherage on drums.

Their debut single was a raging original composed by their friend, Dennis Dahlquist who penned a kick ass Yardbirds inspired song called The Last Time Around. Production is perfect as is Lauer's vocal delivery and Better Man Than I inspired guitar break. Jeff Beck would have been proud. Special shout out to the bass work of Jack Burchall whose work on this song truly inspired me to learn every note of what he did with his fast running fingers. This single was released just days after the Things To Come released I'm Not Talkin' and just two months before The Banshees set Project Blue upon the record buying public and The Shadows of Knight released Bad Little Woman/Gospel Zone. You see why I love this label?

While Last Time Around was a true regional hit, the follow-up, I Call My Baby STP, which came with a nice pic sleeve and an STP Oil sticker as part of a quasi-ad campaign, was a flop. (but the flip is respectable) It turns out that was the last time around for the Del Vetts who went from one bad name to another as they inexplicably changed their name to the lame-ass Pride and Joy, whose lone Dunwich release, Girl/If You're Ready, was highlighted a few years ago. Jim Lauer allegedly went the way of Roky Erickson and Syd Barrett. Play it loud and enjoy.

The Flip-Side is solid as solid gets and thus we include it here. Also penned by Dahlquist, the number is the rather peppy, Everytime. Another kick-ass guitar solo from Lauer. I love how you can hear someone cue them back into the verse after the guitar solo. Low-fi, baby.
Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

2 comments:

  1. Jim Lauer's guitar work was probably the envy of most of his peers in Chicago during the mid 1960's...he could tear into a riff and solo with about as much finesse as Jeff Beck at this time...Beck was pretty much the guitar hero of choice for most young rockers in the USA during this time...it's obvious that Lauer knew Beck's work in the Yardbird's...probably note for note. It would be interesting to find out what ever came of Jim Lauer and the rest of the band...did any of them get drafted and go to Vietnam...where are they now...etc.? I hope that Jim Lauer found peace and is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Lauer confessed to murdering his father's girlfriend in 1982. The method of demise was dismemberment. After confessing he was held at the Cook County Jail's hospital for an indeterminate amount of time.

    ReplyDelete